Q & A EPISODE
Your Thyroid Questions Answered!!!
Can hyperthyroidism be cured? Is killing your thyroid better than suffering the side effects of PTU? Which testing should you focus on when dealing with Graves’ disease? Does perimenopause affect the thyroid?
Today, I’m back with another Q&A episode, answering multiple questions submitted by the Save My Thyroid community. While I can’t get to everyone’s questions every time, I love creating these for you, and I’ll do similar episodes every couple of months. Please share your questions with me by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org, and I’ll include the most relevant ones in upcoming episodes.
During this episode, you’ll learn:
- Q1: Where do I get started with testing when it comes to Graves’ disease?
- Where to start with testing
- The type of testing I recommend for my patients
- Q2: What is the parathyroid’s function, and what can you do when the parathyroid is involved?
- Natural Endocrine Solutions Article | Can Natural Treatment Methods Help With Hyperparathyroidism?
- The connection between parathyroid and calcium levels
- Why you need further testing if you have hyperthyroidism and elevated calcium levels
- Q3: Is killing your thyroid better than the side effects of PTU?
- The concerns around the side effects of PTU
- Treatment alternatives outside of antithyroid medication
- Why my personal preference would be avoiding radioactive iodine or thyroid surgery
- Q4: How can I lower TPO antibodies?
- Save My Thyroid | Episode 50: How To Lower Thyroid Antibodies
- Categories of triggers for thyroid antibodies
- Q5: How do you stop being hot with hyperthyroidism and Graves’, and how do you lower antibody levels quickly?
- How natural antithyroid agents can help with managing heat intolerance
- Q6: If thyroid nodules are too small for biopsies and are monitored and may cause anxiety symptoms, shouldn’t they be removed?
- Why the primary focus should be on addressing the root cause of the nodules
- The two most common causes of thyroid nodules
- Q7: I have thyroid eye disease; is there a natural treatment I can try to lower my TSI levels?
- Natural treatments, such as selenium and vitamin D, for lowering thyroid antibodies
- Q8: Can hypothyroidism be cured? Do you say that hypothyroidism is the same as Hashimoto’s?
- The different types of hyper- and hypothyroidism
- My experience with permanent remission
- Q9: I have heard that hyperthyroidism causes the thyroid to burn out, and then you become hypothyroid. Is this true, and if so, what can prevent or delay it?
- Save My Thyroid | Q&A Episode: Does the thyroid gland burn out?
- Cases when people can move from hyperthyroidism to hypothyroidism
- Q10: Can you remind me of the benefits of glutathione and how you can take it? Do you recommend taking a binding agent with glutathione?
- Save My Thyroid | Episode 59: Glutathione and Thyroid Autoimmunity
- Natural Endocrine Solutions Article | How Glutathione Can Help With Autoimmune Thyroid Conditions
- How you can support your body while taking glutathione
- Situations where I recommend binding agents
- Q11: I have a question about the TRAB range. Why aim for in-range numbers and not zero?
- Why I tend to aim for the lower end or below the reference range
- Considering the benefits versus costs of continuing to push toward a negative result
- Q12: What diet should you eat with thyroid issues? How do you transition from pharma meds to herbs?
- Recognizing that there’s no herbal alternative for thyroid replacement
- Gradually allowing your body to rely more on herbs than medication
- Exploring different diet options and the need for an individualized approach
- Q13: How soon after the TSH becomes suppressed can the levels rise following a natural protocol? What additional steps can one take to promote the restoration of a healthy TSH balance?
- Save My Thyroid | Q&A Episode: How Long Does It Take For The TSH To Increase?
- Timeline for TSH normalization
- Q14: Are protein shakes the best way to get enough amino acids? Which would you recommend? How does perimenopause affect the thyroid, and how can one boost libido?
- Why it’s essential to have a nutrient-dense diet
- People who may need to rely more on protein powders
- Save My Thyroid | Episode 125: Perimenopause and Thyroid Health with Dr. Jennifer Roelands
- Why I tend to focus first on adrenals when it comes to improving libido
- Q15: Will heart symptoms I’ve developed since my Graves’ disease diagnosis stop when the thyroid numbers get into the normal range, or are those things here to stay?
- Natural Endocrine Solutions Article | Tachycardia and Thyroid Health
- Save My Thyroid | Episode 29: Tachycardia and Hyperthyroidism
- The heart symptoms that commonly will normalize and those which may stay for the long term
- Q16: Have any therapies – such as PMF, red light therapy, oxygen therapy, cryotherapy, compressed air, squeeze detox, sound therapy, or AI-assisted weight resistance machines – been found to benefit low thyroid?
- My experience with and insights into these alternative therapies
- Q17: What are your thoughts on the effectiveness of AHCC in treating nodules in the presence of autoimmunity? Could it aggravate autoimmunity by stimulating the immune response?
- What research showed about AHCC’s effectiveness in shrinking nodules
- Natural Endocrine Solutions Article | The Role of Medicinal Mushrooms in Graves’ Disease and Hashimoto’s
- Save My Thyroid | Q&A Episode: Can Reishi and Cordyceps Benefit Those with Graves’ Disease and Hashimoto’s?
- Q18: What are the differences between thyroid cysts and nodules?
- Key differentiators between cysts and nodules
- Q19: What do I need to know about reverse T3?
- Q20: How much protein do you recommend daily?
- Why I recommend 50-75% of your ideal body weight in grams
- Q21: Which supplements work better for hypo- versus hyperthyroidism?
- How you can figure out which supplements are best for you
- Q22: Can hormones produced by other glands, like the adrenals, affect the thyroid?
- The hormones that typically impact thyroid
As always, I hope you found this episode valuable, and I look forward to catching you in the next episode!
Free resources for your thyroid health
Get your FREE Thyroid and Immune Health Restoration Action Points Checklist at SaveMyThyroidChecklist.com
High-Quality Nutritional Supplements For Hyperthyroidism and Hashimoto’s
Have you checked out my new ThyroSave supplement line? These high-quality supplements can benefit those with hyperthyroidism and Hashimoto’s, and you can receive special offers, along with 10% off your first order, by signing up for emails and text messages when you visit ThyroSave.com.
Do You Want Help Saving Your Thyroid?
Click Here to access hundreds of free articles and blog posts.
Click Here for Dr. Eric’s YouTube channel
Click Here to join Dr. Eric’s Graves’ disease and Hashimoto’s group
Click Here to take the Thyroid Saving Score Quiz
Click Here to work with Dr. Eric
Listen to this episode on your favorite app
Follow or Subscribe for free to the Save My Thyroid podcast to stay up to date on the latest thyroid health-related topics.
Click Here To listen to this episode on Apple Podcasts
Click Here To listen to this episode on Spotify
Click Here To listen to the episode on Google Podcasts