Why Those With Thyroid Conditions Should Care About Progesterone
“All of our hormones are like a symphony.” – Betty Murray
With our increasingly toxic environment and higher baseline stress levels, our bodies, especially the pituitary and hypothalamus, are dealing with so much more than 50 years ago. Although Western medicine often parses individual hormones as the domain of different specialists, all of our hormones work together, so any treatment plan has to consider these connections. Jumping straight to thyroid medication or hormone replacement alone doesn’t address the underlying issues.
Today, I’m excited to be joined by Betty Murray, a nutrition expert, Ph.D. researcher, certified functional medicine practitioner, and speaker who has dedicated her career to helping women over 40 harness their hormones to lose weight, optimize sleep, restore energy, and thrive.
In this episode, we dive deep into the world of hormones, discussing everything from progesterone and its role in women’s health to postpartum thyroiditis. Betty shares her expertise on how hormone and metabolic imbalances can impact women’s health, particularly during menopause, and offers practical tips for restoring balance and improving overall health. Betty also shares her menopause journey and how her research led her to develop a unique approach to hormone health. Enjoy the episode!
About Dr. Betty Murray
Betty Murray is a nutrition expert, Ph.D. researcher, certified functional medicine practitioner, and speaker. Betty helps women over 40 harness their hormones to lose weight, optimize sleep, restore energy, and thrive. During her research for her Ph.D., Betty made several key discoveries that lead to hormone & metabolic imbalances that plague women over 40. Restoring balance to these key metabolic and hormone pathways is the basis of her Hormone Reset Program. This program has helped her and hundreds of clients lose weight easily, reduce hot flashes, restore sleep, and turn up their energy without living on a diet of deprivation. She is also the host of the Menopause Mastery Podcast and the founder and CEO of Living Well Dallas Functional Medicine Center. She is a frequently featured nutrition expert on Fox News Broadcasting, CW33, NBC, and CBS.
During this episode, you’ll learn:
- Betty’s decade-plus hormone journey starting in her late 30s
- The lack of awareness and support for women’s health during perimenopause and menopause
- How hormones work together in the body
- The role of progesterone in fertility and the connection between adrenal health and sex hormone production
- Limitations of relying solely on bioidentical hormones
- Common symptoms of progesterone deficiency
- Estrogen dominance and the relative relationship between estrogen and progesterone
- Scenarios where progesterone levels can be problematic
- Advantages and drawbacks of different hormone testing methods
- Different approaches to hormone therapy
- The importance of testosterone for women
- Betty’s recommendations for hysterectomy cases
- Botanicals to use in perimenopause
- What you need to know about postpartum thyroiditis and management strategies
- Why we need to consider optimal ranges for thyroid testing
- Predictive antibody testing for thyroid health
Connect with Dr. Betty Murray
- Dr. Betty Murray’s Menopause Mastery Podcast
- Dr. Betty Murray’s Website | BettyMurray.com
- Living Well Dallas | Functional Medicine Center
Free resources for your thyroid health
Get your FREE Thyroid and Immune Health Restoration Action Points Checklist at SaveMyThyroidChecklist.com
Do You Want Help Saving Your Thyroid?
Click Here to access hundreds of free articles and blog posts.
Click Here for Dr. Eric’s YouTube channel
Click Here to join Dr. Eric’s Graves’ disease and Hashimoto’s group
Click Here to work with Dr. Eric
Listen to the episode on your favorite app
Click Here To listen to this episode on Apple Podcasts
Click Here To listen to this episode on Spotify
Click Here to listen to the episode on Stitcher