Q & A EPISODE
When is a Thyroid Biopsy Necessary?
When considering getting a biopsy, the main concern is that a thyroid nodule could be cancerous. But while many people have thyroid nodules, most are benign.
So, how can you assess whether a thyroid biopsy is necessary? As with any other surgical procedure, the decision comes down to weighing risks versus benefits.
Today I’m sharing my opinion on when a thyroid nodule biopsy is necessary, as well as some interesting research on factors to consider when making your assessment.
During this episode, you’ll learn:
- The four types of thyroid cancer
- Fine needle aspiration vs. core needle biopsy
- Thyroid nodule characteristics that signal a biopsy should be performed
- Considerations for family history of thyroid cancer
- Why follow-up ultrasounds may be beneficial
- Addressing the cause of the thyroid nodule
As always, I hope you found this episode valuable, and I look forward to catching you in the next episode!
Mentioned in this episode
- Blog Post | Is It Necessary To Get A Biopsy For Thyroid Nodules?
- U.S. News Article | Too Many Unnecessary Thyroid Biopsies Performed, Experts Say
- Smith-Bindman R, Lebda P, Feldstein VA, et al. Risk of Thyroid Cancer Based on Thyroid Ultrasound Imaging Characteristics: Results of a Population-Based Study. JAMA Intern Med. 2013;173(19):1788–1795.
- Save My Thyroid | Episode 33: Thyroid Nodules: What You Need To Know
Free resources for your thyroid health
Get your FREE Thyroid and Immune Health Restoration Action Points Checklist at SaveMyThyroidChecklist.com
High-Quality Nutritional Supplements For Hyperthyroidism and Hashimoto’s
Have you checked out my new ThyroSave supplement line? These high-quality supplements can benefit those with hyperthyroidism and Hashimoto’s, and you can receive special offers, along with 10% off your first order, by signing up for emails and text messages when you visit ThyroSave.com.
Do You Want Help Saving Your Thyroid?
Click Here to access hundreds of free articles and blog posts.
Click Here for Dr. Eric’s YouTube channel
Click Here to join Dr. Eric’s Graves’ disease and Hashimoto’s group
Click Here to take the Thyroid Saving Score Quiz
Click Here to work with Dr. Eric
Listen to this episode on your favorite app
Follow or Subscribe for free to the Save My Thyroid podcast to stay up to date on the latest thyroid health-related topics.
Click Here To listen to this episode on Apple Podcasts
Click Here To listen to this episode on Spotify
Click Here to listen to the episode on Stitcher