Q & A EPISODE
Thyroid Conditions in Children and Teenagers
If you have a child or teenager with hyperthyroidism or Hashimoto’s, there is hope to restore their health.
Graves’ disease is the most frequent cause of hyperthyroidism in children, and as an adult with a thyroid condition, there’s an increased risk that your child will develop a thyroid condition. While it isn’t common, there are unique challenges that we have to consider when it comes to children and adolescents.
Today I’m sharing insights from research on Graves’ disease and Hashimoto’s in children and adolescents and what I’ve seen work best in my experience working with pediatric thyroid patients.
During this episode, you’ll learn about:
- Graves’ disease in children and how it differs from adults
- Effects of hyperthyroidism on growth and development
- The reduced rates of remission in children compared to adults
- What research shows about the effectiveness of long-term methimazole therapy
- How frequently Hashimoto’s occurs in children
- The natural course of Hashimoto’s in children and adolescents
- Why thyroid levels can stay normal for years with Hashimoto’s
- Early detection and treatment make a significant difference
- The connection between Hashimoto’s and leaky gut
- Vitamin D deficiency in children with Hashimoto’s
- My experience with pediatric patients with Graves’ and Hashimoto’s
- Why the whole family needs to make the changes toward optimal health
As always, I hope you found this episode valuable, and I look forward to catching you in the next episode!
Mentioned in this episode
- Save My Thyroid | Q&A Episode: How long can I safely take methimazole for?
- Graves’ Disease Articles
- Léger, Juliane. “Graves’ disease in children.” Endocrine development vol. 26 (2014): 171-82.
- Srinivasan, Shylaja, and Madhusmita Misra. “Hyperthyroidism in children.” Pediatrics in review vol. 36,6 (2015): 239-48.
- Kaplowitz, Paul B, and Priya Vaidyanathan. “Update on pediatric hyperthyroidism.” Current opinion in endocrinology, diabetes, and obesity vol. 27,1 (2020): 70-76.
- Vaidyanathan, Priya. “Update on Pediatric Hyperthyroidism.” Advances in pediatrics vol. 69,1 (2022): 219-229.
- Niedziela, Marek. “Hyperthyroidism in adolescents.” Endocrine connections vol. 10,11 R279-R292. 25 Oct. 2021
- Hashimoto’s thyroiditis Articles
- Marković, Slavica, et al. “DOI Serbia Časopisi.” DOISerbia – Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis in Children and Adolescents
- Lee, Hae Sang and Hwang, Jin Soon. “The natural course of Hashimoto’s thyroiditis in children and adolescents” Journal of Pediatric Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 27, no. 9-10, 2014, pp. 807-812.
- Hanley, Patrick, et al. “Thyroid Disorders in Children and Adolescents.” Thyroid Disorders in Children and Adolescents: A Review | Adolescent Medicine | JAMA Pediatrics | JAMA Network, 1 Oct. 2016
- Sönmezgöz E, Ozer S, Yilmaz R, et al. “Hypovitaminosis D in Children with Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis” Revista Medica de Chile. 2016 May;144(5):611-616.
Free resources for your thyroid health
Get your FREE Thyroid and Immune Health Restoration Action Points Checklist at SaveMyThyroidChecklist.com
High-Quality Nutritional Supplements For Hyperthyroidism and Hashimoto’s
Have you checked out my new ThyroSave supplement line? These high-quality supplements can benefit those with hyperthyroidism and Hashimoto’s, and you can receive special offers, along with 10% off your first order, by signing up for emails and text messages when you visit ThyroSave.com.
Do You Want Help Saving Your Thyroid?
Click Here to access hundreds of free articles and blog posts.
Click Here for Dr. Eric’s YouTube channel
Click Here to join Dr. Eric’s Graves’ disease and Hashimoto’s group
Click Here to take the Thyroid Saving Score Quiz
Click Here to work with Dr. Eric
Listen to this episode on your favorite app
Follow or Subscribe for free to the Save My Thyroid podcast to stay up to date on the latest thyroid health-related topics.
Click Here To listen to this episode on Apple Podcasts
Click Here To listen to this episode on Spotify
Click Here to listen to the episode on Stitcher