The Iodine Controversy and Thyroid Health
If you’ve researched thyroid health, you’ve heard a lot about iodine. But while some people swear by it, others warn against it, and ultimately there’s a lot of confusion about whether those with thyroid conditions should supplement with iodine or avoid it altogether.
Iodine is an essential mineral that plays a vital role in thyroid hormone production, metabolism, and more. At the same time, too much iodine can be detrimental and potentially contribute to autoimmune thyroid conditions.
Back in 2008, when I was diagnosed with Graves’ disease, iodine supplementation was a part of my natural treatment protocol that eventually led to remission. Since then, my perspective on iodine has shifted significantly due to new research and insights into the risks and benefits of iodine supplementation.
To help to clear up some of the controversies around iodine, today I’m discussing the key elements you need to be aware of when it comes to iodine and how it impacts thyroid health, including the benefits and potential adverse effects of iodine intake and why it’s essential to work with a qualified practitioner. Enjoy the episode!
During this episode, you’ll learn:
- My experience with iodine supplementation and Graves’ disease
- Why my perspective on iodine has changed over the years
- The connection between selenium and thyroid autoimmunity
- Recognizing that an iodine deficiency isn’t likely to be the main reason someone develops Graves’ disease or Hashimoto’s
- Five common reasons some people run into problems with high levels of iodine
- How much is too much when it comes to iodine?
- Benefits of iodine supplementation
- Potential risks of iodine supplementation
- Different types of iodine supplements
- What you need to know about iodine testing
- Should you restrict food sources of iodine?
- The controversy around iodine supplementation between practitioners
- My iodine testing recommendations
Mentioned in this episode
- Save My Thyroid | Q&A Episode: Is a Low Iodine Diet Necessary To Follow?
- David Brownstein’s Book | Iodine: Why You Need It, Why You Can’t Live Without It
- NaturalEndocrineSolutions.com Articles
- Hakala Labs
Free resources for your thyroid health
Get your FREE Thyroid and Immune Health Restoration Action Points Checklist at SaveMyThyroidChecklist.com
Do You Want Help Saving Your Thyroid?
Click Here to access hundreds of free articles and blog posts.
Click Here for Dr. Eric’s YouTube channel
Click Here to join Dr. Eric’s Graves’ disease and Hashimoto’s group
Click Here to work with Dr. Eric
Listen to the episode on your favorite app
Click Here To listen to this episode on Apple Podcasts
Click Here To listen to this episode on Spotify
Click Here to listen to the episode on Stitcher