The GutSMART Protocol with Dr. Vincent Pedre
Microbial diversity is the holy grail of gut health, and a healthy gut is essential for achieving optimal health. Unfortunately, in our modern world, we’re losing gut diversity from an early age when our kids are exposed to multiple rounds of unnecessary antibiotics. In today’s interview, Functional Medicine-Certified Practitioner Dr. Vincent Padre joins me for a comprehensive chat about the gut and why you need a personalized protocol for healing.
Dr. Vincent Pedre is the Medical Director of Pedre Integrative Health and Founder of Dr. Pedre Wellness, CEO/Founder of Happy Gut Life LLC, has worked as a nutraceutical consultant and spokesperson for NatureMD and is a Functional Medicine-Certified Practitioner with a concierge practice in New York City since 2004. He believes the gut is the gateway to excellent wellness. His newest book, The GutSMART Protocol – featuring a 14-day personalized gut-healing plan based on the GutSMART Quiz – is the culmination of years of research and clinical experience as a functional gut health expert.
In this conversation, Dr. Pedre and I explore several elements of gut health, including why there’s no one diet recommendation, his approach to parasites and gut infections, why we don’t often test for leaky gut, and more. Healing your gut is vital to a healthy immune system and thyroid. I hope you learn a lot from this episode!
During this episode, you’ll learn:
- Why Dr. Pedre decided to write his second book, The GutSMART Protocol
- Creating a personalized healing plan with The GutSMART Protocol
- Surprising findings from recent research into different gut health-targeted diets
- The benefits of fermented foods and why they’re not a good choice for everyone
- Microbiome diversity is the holy grail
- Getting started with the GutSMART Quiz
- The importance of working with a functional doctor instead of taking a DIY route to heal your gut
- Why you might benefit from using different types of binders
- Why Dr. Pedre might recommend probiotic supplements alongside adding fermented foods to your diet
- The benefits of diversity in your diet
- How Dr. Pedre used kefir for gut recovery after having a parasite
- Learning to listen to your body through intuitive eating
- There’s a circadian rhythm to what your gut is doing
- Dr. Pedre’s approach to leaky gut and food sensitivity testing
- You can’t interpret a test result without considering what’s happening with the person
- Treating infections and parasites in the gut
- Herbal approaches to treating H. pylori
- Some parasites can play a favorable role as part of gut microbial diversity
- Why Dr. Pedre prefers to take a slower and more gentle approach
- The reasons some people develop gluten sensitivity later in life
Connect with Dr. Vincent Pedre
- FREE CHAPTER of The GutSMART Protocol
- Dr. Vincent Pedre’s Books
- Pedre Integrative Health
Mentioned in the episode
- Wastyk HC, Fragiadakis GK, Perelman D, et al. Gut-microbiota-targeted diets modulate human immune status. Cell. 2021;184(16):4137-4153.e14.
- Save My Thyroid | Episode 30: Parasites and Thyroid Autoimmunity with Elizabeth Yarnell
Free resources for your thyroid health
Get your FREE Thyroid and Immune Health Restoration Action Points Checklist at SaveMyThyroidChecklist.com
Do You Want Help Saving Your Thyroid?
Click Here to access hundreds of free articles and blog posts.
Click Here for Dr. Eric’s YouTube channel
Click Here to join Dr. Eric’s Graves’ disease and Hashimoto’s group
Click Here to work with Dr. Eric
Listen to the episode on your favorite app
Click Here To listen to this episode on Apple Podcasts
Click Here To listen to this episode on Spotify
Click Here to listen to the episode on Stitcher
Click Here to access the transcript for this episode