SIBO and the Biphasic Diet with Dr. Nirala Jacobi
Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO) is a topic that has gained a lot of attention in recent years. Unfortunately, because of the lag time between research findings making their way into clinical practices, many gastroenterologists are still unfamiliar with SIBO, leaving patients without the care they need.
SIBO is characterized by excessive bacteria in the small intestines, and it can be caused by various factors. Because of that, a one-size-fits-all approach to treatment is unlikely to be effective. Instead, it’s crucial to identify the root cause of the problem and tailor the treatment plan accordingly.
Today I’m joined by Naturopathic Doctor and SIBO expert Dr. Nirala Jacobi. I’ve been following her for quite some time, and I’ve really enjoyed her podcast and her courses over the years. Dr. Jacobi is known for her systematic and effective approach to diagnosing and treating SIBO and other functional digestive disorders. She brings more than two decades of clinical experience and expertise to her clinic, the Biome Clinic.
In this episode, Dr. Jacobi and I discuss the difference between small and large intestinal bacterial overgrowth, the normal physiology of the digestive tract, hidden causes of SIBO, why you need to prioritize finding the underlying cause of SIBO, her SIBO Bi-Phasic diet, and more. Treating SIBO requires a holistic approach to rebalancing the gut microbiome, and Dr. Jacobi shares many insights in this interview. Enjoy the episode!
About Dr. Nirala Jacobi
Dr. Nirala Jacobi is a naturopathic doctor (ND) and internationally recognized expert on small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO). She is the creator of the SIBO Biphasic Diet, a resource that has helped tens of thousands of SIBO sufferers around the world. Dr. Jacobi is the host of The SIBO Doctor Podcast and the founder of The SIBO Doctor, an online educational platform that includes a practitioner certification program. She is also the medical director of SIBOtest, providing innovative testing options for SIBO and IBS.
Dr. Jacobi is known for her systematic and effective approach to diagnosing and treating SIBO and other functional digestive disorders. Having received her naturopathic doctorate in 1998 from the esteemed Bastyr University in Seattle, USA she brings more than two decades of clinical experience and expertise to her clinic, the Biome Clinic.
During this episode, you’ll learn:
- Dr. Jacobi’s background and why she pivoted her career to focus on SIBO
- The normal physiology of the digestive tract
- Differences between small and large intestinal bacterial overgrowth
- Misconceptions about stool testing for SIBO
- Hidden causes of SIBO and the importance of finding the underlying cause
- Increased incidence of SIBO relapses due to chronic stress
- Why stress management is a crucial piece of a SIBO treatment plan
- How the SIBO Bi-Phasic Diet works and the different variations
- Why the Bi-Phasic Diet also benefits people with small intestinal fungal overgrowth (SIFO)
- Using a combined approach with herbs and antibiotics
- Dr. Jacobi’s take on the Elemental Diet
- The many causes of bloating and solutions that can provide relief
- Normal stomach function and different methods for stimulating stomach acid output
- Most GI doctors aren’t familiar with SIBO
- Why Dr. Jacobi strongly recommends testing for SIBO before determining a treatment approach
- The big problem with treating everyone for parasites
- Recommendations for testing and retesting for SIBO
- Different approaches to treating Blastocystis hominis and parasites in general
- The effectiveness of apple cider vinegar for stimulating stomach acid
Connect with Dr. Nirala Jacobi
- Dr. Nirala Jacobi’s Website | TheSIBODoctor.com
- Dr. Nirala Jacobi’s Resources
- The SIBO Doctor Podcast
- The Biome Clinic
- SIBOTest – SIBO Breath Testing
Mentioned in this episode
- Save My Thyroid
Free resources for your thyroid health
Get your FREE Thyroid and Immune Health Restoration Action Points Checklist at SaveMyThyroidChecklist.com
Do You Want Help Saving Your Thyroid?
Click Here to access hundreds of free articles and blog posts.
Click Here for Dr. Eric’s YouTube channel
Click Here to join Dr. Eric’s Graves’ disease and Hashimoto’s group
Click Here to work with Dr. Eric
Listen to the episode on your favorite app
Click Here To listen to this episode on Apple Podcasts
Click Here To listen to this episode on Spotify
Click Here to listen to the episode on Stitcher
Click Here to access the transcript for this episode