Saving Your Thyroid Through Radiofrequency Ablation with Dr. Angela Mazza
Thyroid nodules are extremely common, with about 1 in 3 people having one in their lifetime.
Radiofrequency ablation (RFA) has been used for years for treating various issues, from tumors to varicose veins. In 2018, the FDA approved RFA for use on benign compressive thyroid nodules, finally offering many people facing thyroid surgery a good alternative.
RFA offers a targeted option for long-term ablation in the nodule while leaving the rest of the thyroid completely intact. With no anesthesia, no downtime from work, and no thyroidectomy scar, it’s an excellent option that we couldn’t access until recently here in the US.
Today I’m excited to talk to Dr. Angela Mazza, the only provider of RFA for thyroid nodules in Central Florida. Triple board-certified in endocrinology, internal medicine, and anti-aging and regenerative medicine, Angela D. Mazza, DO, ABAARM, FAAMFM, ECNU, CDE, diagnoses, treats, and manages conditions like thyroid disease and hormonal imbalance. As a Doctor of Osteopathy, she and her team take a holistic approach to healthcare based on the latest medical findings and lifestyle modifications. Together, they treat the entire person, not just the condition. Dr. Angela is a thyroid specialist who earned her ECNU certification and specializes in RFA procedures for thyroid nodules.
In this conversation, Dr. Angela and I talked about why she was excited to start offering RFA, the types of patients that made good candidates for RFA, what to expect from the procedure, potential side effects, RFA versus thyroid surgery, and more. Enjoy the episode!
During this episode, you’ll learn about:
- Why Dr. Angela started incorporating radiofrequency ablation into her practice
- What are thyroid nodules?
- How the risks associated with thyroid nodules are assessed
- Characteristics of toxic nodules
- The differences between cold and hot nodules
- Treatment options for toxic nodules
- Why Dr. Angela doesn’t use radioactive iodine uptake tests anymore
- How radiofrequency ablation is used for thyroid nodules
- The benefits of using radiofrequency ablation
- What to expect from the radiofrequency ablation procedure itself and follow-up visits
- What research shows about potential future applications for radiofrequency ablation as a therapeutic option for malignant nodules
- Radiofrequency ablation versus thyroid surgery
- Why a practitioner’s experience level is important
- Potential risks and side effects
- Applications of different types of ablation for nodules
- Who makes a good candidate for radiofrequency ablation?
Connect with Dr. Angela Mazza
- Dr. Angela Mazza’s Website | MetabolicCenterForWellness.com
- Dr. Angela Mazza’s Podcast | Thyroid Talk
- Dr. Angela Mazza on YouTube
Mentioned in this episode
Free resources for your thyroid health
Get your FREE Thyroid and Immune Health Restoration Action Points Checklist at SaveMyThyroidChecklist.com
Do You Want Help Saving Your Thyroid?
Click Here to access hundreds of free articles and blog posts.
Click Here for Dr. Eric’s YouTube channel
Click Here to join Dr. Eric’s Graves’ disease and Hashimoto’s group
Click Here to work with Dr. Eric
Listen to the episode on your favorite app
Click Here To listen to this episode on Apple Podcasts
Click Here To listen to this episode on Spotify
Click Here to listen to the episode on Stitcher
Click Here to access the written transcript