Q & A EPISODE
Radiofrequency Ablation and Thyroid Nodules
Can radiofrequency ablation (RFA) help with larger thyroid nodules?
Without question, RFA is a good option for some people with larger thyroid nodules or cancerous nodules. At the same time, you need to consider the associated risks.
Today I’m discussing the primary considerations you’ll want to be aware of if you’re thinking about RFA and how it compares as an alternative to thyroid surgery. I’m starting with an article by UCLA Health and sharing a few research articles that show the benefits and potential downsides.
During this episode, you’ll learn about:
- What is radiofrequency ablation?
- Indications and contraindications to radiofrequency ablation
- What to expect from the RFA procedure
- Important differences between radiofrequency ablation and thyroid surgery
- Highlights of research studies on radiofrequency ablation
- Overview of the primary considerations for getting radiofrequency ablation
As always, I hope you found this episode valuable, and I look forward to catching you in the next episode!
Mentioned in this episode
- UCLA Thyroid Radiofrequency Ablation Program
- Journal Articles
- Ha, Eun Ju et al. “The efficacy and complications of radiofrequency ablation of thyroid nodules.” Current opinion in endocrinology, diabetes, and obesity vol. 18,5 (2011): 310-4.
- Muhammad, Haris et al. “Radiofrequency ablation and thyroid nodules: updated systematic review.” Endocrine vol. 72,3 (2021): 619-632.
- Aldea Martínez, Jesús et al. “Radiofrequency Ablation of Thyroid Nodules: A Long-Term Prospective Study of 24 Patients.” Journal of vascular and interventional radiology : JVIR vol. 30,10 (2019): 1567-1573.
- Lončar, Ivona et al. “Radiofrequency Ablation for Benign Symptomatic Thyroid Nodules in the Netherlands: Successful Introduction of a Minimally Invasive Treatment Option Improving Quality of Life.” Journal of vascular and interventional radiology : JVIR vol. 33,5 (2022): 530-537.e1.
- Save My Thyroid | Episode 33: Thyroid Nodules: What You Need To Know
Free resources for your thyroid health
Get your FREE Thyroid and Immune Health Restoration Action Points Checklist at SaveMyThyroidChecklist.com
Do You Want Help Saving Your Thyroid?
Click Here to access hundreds of free articles and blog posts.
Click Here for Dr. Eric’s YouTube channel
Click Here to join Dr. Eric’s Graves’ disease and Hashimoto’s group
Click Here to work with Dr. Eric
Listen to this episode on your favorite app
Follow or Subscribe for free to the Save My Thyroid podcast to stay up to date on the latest thyroid health-related topics.
Click Here To listen to this episode on Apple Podcasts
Click Here To listen to this episode on Spotify
Click Here to listen to the episode on Stitcher