Plastic Alternatives, Safe Cookware, and Personal Care Products with the Wellness Mama
“Your body is always on your side.” – Katie Wells
Every day we’re exposed to environmental toxins from the products we put on our skin, the foods we eat, and more. And while it can feel overwhelming learning about all the potential exposures we face can feel overwhelming, taking steps to support your health can be simple.
That’s where the 80/20 rule comes in – 80% of results come from 20% of inputs in both a positive and a negative context. This means that by focusing on the 20% of things causing 80% of our exposure, we can make dramatic positive changes to our health.
Today I’m excited to be joined by Wellness Mama, Katie Wells, to talk about the steps you can take to reduce your exposure to harmful chemicals. Katie is a mom of six and an award-winning blogger, author, podcaster, and real food crusader. Her mission with WellnessMama.com is to provide simple answers for healthier families through practical tips, real food recipes, natural beauty and cleaning tutorials, natural remedies, and more.
In this episode, Katie and I discuss why we need to be aware of environmental toxins, plastic alternatives, how to identify safe cookware and personal care products, practical tips to move away from plastics, how you can better support your oral microbiome, the multiple benefits of regular sauna use, and more. Enjoy the episode!
About Katie Wells
Katie, the “Wellness Mama” is a mom of six, as well as an award-winning blogger, author, podcaster and real food crusader. Her mission with WellnessMama.com is to provide simple answers for healthier families through practical tips, real food recipes, natural beauty and cleaning tutorials, natural remedies and more. As a mom of six, Katie has developed systems and tips for living a Wellness Lifestyle™ with a family and on a budget and she was named by greatist.com as one of the 100 most influential people in health and wellness along with Dr. Oz, Dr. Mercola, Food Babe and Tim Ferriss. She writes at WellnessMama.com and can be found on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest. She is also the creator behind Wellnesse, the first line of commercially available personal care products based on the DIY creations she has been making in her kitchen for years. Her popular Wellness Mama podcast can be found at wellnessmama.fm.
During this episode, you’ll learn:
- Katie’s motivation for starting the Wellness Mama website and podcast
- Why Katie is passionate about empowering people to take responsibility for their health
- The main concerns with using plastic regularly
- Hormone-disrupting compounds in plastics and the impact on our health
- Potential risks and benefits of consuming seafood
- Simple swaps to reduce your plastic exposure
- Katie’s top tip for habit stacking and staying hydrated
- The massive benefits of regular sauna use
- Applying the 80/20 rule to reducing plastic exposure and improving your health
- Dialing in the free steps we can take to support our health
- Why light is crucial for our health and what to do if natural light exposure isn’t possible
- The dangers of nonstick and aluminum cookware and safe alternatives you can try
- Katies’s experience making her personal care products at home
- Potential health concerns with personal care products
- Why Katie started Wellnesse
- The personal care products that make the most impact when switched to natural alternatives
- The importance of supporting the oral microbiome
- Taking a closer look at the ingredients in our personal care products
- How Katie supported herself while experiencing Hashimoto’s
- The impact of mindset on healing
Connect with Katie Wells
- Katie Wells’ Website | WellnessMama.com
- Katie Wells’ Podcast | The Wellness Mama Podcast
- Wellnesse Personal Care Products
Mentioned in this episode
Free resources for your thyroid health
Get your FREE Thyroid and Immune Health Restoration Action Points Checklist at SaveMyThyroidChecklist.com
Do You Want Help Saving Your Thyroid?
Click Here to access hundreds of free articles and blog posts.
Click Here for Dr. Eric’s YouTube channel
Click Here to join Dr. Eric’s Graves’ disease and Hashimoto’s group
Click Here to work with Dr. Eric
Listen to the episode on your favorite app
Click Here To listen to this episode on Apple Podcasts
Click Here To listen to this episode on Spotify
Click Here to listen to the episode on Stitcher
Click Here to access the transcript for this episode