Perimenopause and Thyroid Health with Dr. Jennifer Roelands
“Your hormones are like a symphony. They all have to work together.” – Dr. Jennifer Roelands
It’s very common for women in perimenopause to feel like something is off or not feel like themselves. Then, when they reach out to friends, family member, or even their doctors, they’re dismissed and told it’s just a part of getting older, and there’s nothing to be done since they’re not in menopause.
That’s absolutely incorrect. Hormone replacement therapy and nutrition and lifestyle changes are not tools that can only be used in menopause. If you feel like something is wrong, there are providers who will listen to you and who can help you figure out if it is perimenopause. You don’t need to accept that your symptoms are something you have to endure just because.
Today, I’m joined by Integrative Medicine doctor and OB/GYN Dr. Jennifer Roelands to talk about perimenopause and its connection to thyroid health. In this conversation, we discuss the challenges of testing hormone levels during perimenopause, Dr. Jennifer’s experience with Hashimoto’s, her approach to testing and why professional guidance is needed to get the best outcomes after testing, the advantages of an individualized approach to your health, and more. Enjoy the episode!
About Dr. Jennifer Roelands
Dr. Jennifer Roelands is a double board-certified OB/GYN and Integrative Medicine doctor. She is a speaker, consultant, and educator in the women’s health space for over 15 years. She completed her residency at Duke Medical Center and her integrative medicine fellowship at Andrew Weil Integrative Medicine Center.
As a fellow cyster and sufferer of hypothyroidism, she is passionate about helping women heal their PCOS and advocating for themselves in the healthcare system using a whole-body approach to women’s health. She believes the key to healing is to use a personalized approach for each person because we are all unique. She serves their patients holistically by integrating patients’ individual complexities and similarities—pulling from multiple vantage points of functional, holistic and integrative medicine.
When she is not working with patients, she is an avid hiker, foodie, and the go-to math guru for her four energetic kids.
During this episode, you’ll learn about:
- How Dr. Jennifer’s health struggles triggered her transition from traditional OBGYN to integrative practitioner
- The early stages of perimenopause and symptoms that are often missed
- Hormone fluctuations throughout the stages of perimenopause
- Common symptoms that women experience during perimenopause
- Challenges with hormone testing during perimenopause
- The role of the adrenals in sex hormone productions
- Why Dr. Jennifer likes the DUTCH test for adrenal testing
- Situations where Dr. Jennifer looks at testing estrogen metabolites
- Who will benefit most from nutrigenomic testing in perimenopause and menopause
- Assessing whether hormone replacement therapy (HRT) is the best path forward
- Why we must address other lifestyle factors alongside HRT for optimal outcomes
- The potential connection between perimenopause and thyroid issues
- Using an autoimmune protocol (AIP) diet to identify triggers of inflammation and autoimmune symptoms
- Tailoring nutrition and lifestyle recommendations to individual patients’ capabilities and preferences
- The risks of direct-to-consumer tests and why guided testing is crucial
- Dr. Jennifer’s approach to food sensitivity testing and interpreting the results
- Factors that impact cortisol levels and why I still recommend saliva testing
Connect with Dr. Jennifer Roelands
- Dr. Jennifer Roelands on Instagram @DrJen.MD
- Dr. Jennifer Roelands’ Virtual Practice Website
- Dr. Jennifer Roelands’ Podcast | Ignite your PowHer
Mentioned in this episode
Free resources for your thyroid health
Get your FREE Thyroid and Immune Health Restoration Action Points Checklist at SaveMyThyroidChecklist.com
Do You Want Help Saving Your Thyroid?
Click Here to access hundreds of free articles and blog posts.
Click Here for Dr. Eric’s YouTube channel
Click Here to join Dr. Eric’s Graves’ disease and Hashimoto’s group
Click Here to work with Dr. Eric
Listen to the episode on your favorite app
Click Here To listen to this episode on Apple Podcasts
Click Here To listen to this episode on Spotify
Click Here to listen to the episode on Google Podcasts
Click Here To access the transcript for this episode