Overcoming Selfless Syndrome with Dr. Alexandra Swenson-Ridley
Selfless Syndrome: it’s that desire to take care of everything and everyone before yourself, and it’s a big problem for those with any type of thyroid condition.
The term was coined by Dr. Alexandra Swenson-Ridley DC, NBC-HWC, AMP, a thought leader in outside-the-box and natural approaches to women’s health and hormones. After suffering health challenges resulting from her Selfless Syndrome, her work turned towards helping other driven women navigate the world of fatigue, thyroid issues, anxiety and depression, difficulty losing weight, gut health, and more without using medications.
In our modern world, where women have taken on more roles, most have added new things to the plate while not removing anything. The result is that many women have a very high level of stress that they’re always dealing with, often pushing through and accepting it as the norm, to the detriment of their health.
In this episode, Dr. Alex and I discuss what Selfless Syndrome looks like, the core pillars of a woman’s health, why she chose not to take thyroid medication, the importance of going beyond diet and lifestyle when trying to regain your health, tools you can use to improve your emotional awareness, and more.
During this episode, you’ll learn about:
- How Dr. Alex’s health journey led to her career in women’s health
- What is Selfless Syndrome, and how does it impact thyroid health?
- How toxic stress affects your adrenals and the connection to thyroid issues
- Dr. Alex’s experience with subclinical hypothyroidism
- Aim for functional ranges instead of reference ranges
- Testing TSH alone doesn’t give a complete picture of thyroid function
- Why Dr. Alex likes the Fast Metabolism Diet for weight loss with hypothyroidism
- How Dr. Alex helps women as the Selfless Syndrome Mentor
- Getting out of your head and tuning into your body
- Dr. Alex’s approach to thyroid medication as a tool in appropriate circumstances
- The seven core pillars of a woman’s health
- Next steps to start taking back your life
- What your heart rate variability tells you
- Tools to help you track and shift your emotional state
Connect with Dr. Alexandra Swenson-Ridley
- Dr. Alexandra Swenson-Ridley’s Website | EmergentWomenCoaching.com
- Dr. Alexandra Swenson-Ridley on Facebook
- Dr. Alexandra Swenson-Ridley on LinkedIn
- Dr. Alexandra Swenson-Ridley on Instagram @EmergentWomenCoaching
- Dr. Alexandra Swenson-Ridley’s Podcast | The Selfless Syndrome Show
Mentioned in this episode
- Haylie Pomroy’s Book | The Fast Metabolism Diet: Eat more food & lose more weight
- HeartMath Inner Balance
- Oura Ring
Free resources for your thyroid health
Get your FREE Thyroid and Immune Health Restoration Action Points Checklist at SaveMyThyroidChecklist.com
Do You Want Help Saving Your Thyroid?
Click Here to access hundreds of free articles and blog posts.
Click Here for Dr. Eric’s YouTube channel
Click Here to join Dr. Eric’s Graves’ disease and Hashimoto’s group
Click Here to work with Dr. Eric
Listen to the episode on your favorite app
Click Here To listen to this episode on Apple Podcasts
Click Here To listen to this episode on Spotify
Click Here to listen to the episode on Stitcher