Muscle Weakness and Hyperthyroidism
If you’re experiencing muscle weakness or decreased muscle mass, there’s a good chance it’s related to your hyperthyroidism. At the same time, knowing that other causes might be at play is essential.
After I was diagnosed with Graves’ disease, I experienced a noticeable loss of muscle mass associated with hyperthyroidism. Years later, I was walking with my daughter, and one of my legs started giving out. That was the first time I’ve ever experienced something like that, and it turned out to be a symptom of chronic Lyme disease.
I can’t emphasize this enough: you always want to identify and address the root cause of your symptoms.
Today I’m talking about the connection between muscle weakness and hyperthyroidism, exploring other causes such as electrolyte imbalances, medications, and infections, how to test for decreased muscle mass, what you can do to address the cause of your symptoms, and more.
During this episode, you’ll learn about:
- Low creatinine levels are associated with lower muscle mass
- Decreased muscle mass and muscle weakness are associated with hyperthyroidism
- The role of thyroid hormones in sarcopenia
- My experience with decreased muscle mass and muscle weakness
- Addressing the cause of the problem is key
- Hyperthyroidism may influence the clinical course of myasthenia gravis
- What the research around muscle weakness and hyperthyroidism shows
- Medications, infections, and other issues associated with muscle weakness
- Methods for normalizing thyroid hormone levels
- Addressing other potential causes of muscle weakness
- What you can do to increase muscle mass
- Figuring out how much protein you should eat
Click Here to read the research study I mentioned during the episode
Free resources for your thyroid health
Get your FREE Thyroid and Immune Health Restoration Action Points Checklist at SaveMyThyroidChecklist.com
Do You Want Help Saving Your Thyroid?
Click Here to access hundreds of free articles and blog posts.
Click Here for Dr. Eric’s YouTube channel
Click Here to join Dr. Eric’s Graves’ disease and Hashimoto’s group
Click Here to work with Dr. Eric
Listen to the episode on your favorite app
Click Here To listen to this episode on Apple Podcasts
Click Here To listen to this episode on Spotify
Click Here to listen to the episode on Stitcher