Q & A EPISODE
L-carnitine, Acetyl-L-carnitine, and Thyroid Health
Carnitine is a nitrogen-containing compound synthesized in the liver and kidneys and found in certain foods we eat. Although it’s primarily in the muscle, none is manufactured there.
Research has shown numerous health benefits of L-carnitine and acetyl-L-carnitine, from managing dementia to mitochondrial and thyroid health. Today, I’m sharing some of these studies and the reasons why you may want to consider supplementing with L-carnitine and acetyl-L-carnitine to support your thyroid.
During this episode, you’ll learn about:
- The difference between L-carnitine and acetyl-L-carnitine
- How L-carnitine and acetyl-L-carnitine can help with supporting muscle and mitochondrial health and more
- Dosage considerations for people with Hashimoto’s
- What research shows us about
- The benefits of acetyl-L-carnitine in treating various conditions
- Potential use and mechanisms of action of acetyl-L-carnitine in dementia and cognitive disorders
- Therapeutic potential of L-carnitine and acetyl-L-carnitine for neuroprotection
- How muscle carnitine levels are affected by hypo- and hyperthyroidism
- Supplementing with L-carnitine and selenium for subclinical hyperthyroidism
- The benefits of acetyl-L-carnitine on mitochondrial health
- L-carnitine and suppression of skeletal muscle mass
- Clinical effects of L-carnitine supplementation on physical performance
- Possible antioxidant effects of acetyl-l-carnitine
As always, I hope you found this episode valuable, and I look forward to catching you in the next episode!
Mentioned in this episode
- SMT-Carnitine Supreme
- Acetyl-L-carnitine. Altern Med Rev. 1999;4(6):438-441.
- Pennisi M, Lanza G, Cantone M, et al. Acetyl-L-Carnitine in Dementia and Other Cognitive Disorders: A Critical Update. Nutrients. 2020;12(5):1389. Published 2020 May 12.
- Ferreira GC, McKenna MC. L-Carnitine and Acetyl-L-carnitine Roles and Neuroprotection in Developing Brain. Neurochem Res. 2017;42(6):1661-1675.
- Sinclair C, Gilchrist JM, Hennessey JV, Kandula M. Muscle carnitine in hypo- and hyperthyroidism. Muscle Nerve. 2005;32(3):357-359.
- Nordio M. A novel treatment for subclinical hyperthyroidism: a pilot study on the beneficial effects of l-carnitine and selenium. Eur Rev Med Pharmacol Sci. 2017;21(9):2268-2273.
- Nicassio L, Fracasso F, Sirago G, et al. Dietary supplementation with acetyl-l-carnitine counteracts age-related alterations of mitochondrial biogenesis, dynamics and antioxidant defenses in brain of old rats. Exp Gerontol. 2017;98:99-109.
- Izzo LT, Trefely S, Demetriadou C, et al. Acetylcarnitine shuttling links mitochondrial metabolism to histone acetylation and lipogenesis. Sci Adv. 2023;9(18):eadf0115.
- Rosca MG, Lemieux H, Hoppel CL. Mitochondria in the elderly: Is acetylcarnitine a rejuvenator?. Adv Drug Deliv Rev. 2009;61(14):1332-1342.
- Zhang ZY, Fan ZK, Cao Y, et al. Acetyl-L-carnitineameliorates mitochondrial damage and apoptosis following spinal cord injury in rats. Neurosci Lett. 2015;604:18-23.
- Ohara M, Ogawa K, Suda G, et al. L-Carnitine Suppresses Loss of Skeletal Muscle Mass in Patients With Liver Cirrhosis. Hepatol Commun. 2018;2(8):906-918. Published 2018 Aug 6.
- Yarizadh H, Shab-Bidar S, Zamani B, Vanani AN, Baharlooi H, Djafarian K. The Effect of L-Carnitine Supplementation on Exercise-Induced Muscle Damage: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Randomized Clinical Trials. J Am Coll Nutr. 2020;39(5):457-468.
- Zidan A, Hedya SE, Elfeky DM, Abdin AA. The possible anti-apoptotic and antioxidant effects of acetyl l-carnitine as an add-on therapy on a relapsing-remitting model of experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis in rats. Biomed Pharmacother. 2018;103:1302-1311.
Free resources for your thyroid health
Get your FREE Thyroid and Immune Health Restoration Action Points Checklist at SaveMyThyroidChecklist.com
High-Quality Nutritional Supplements For Hyperthyroidism and Hashimoto’s
Have you checked out my new ThyroSave supplement line? These high-quality supplements can benefit those with hyperthyroidism and Hashimoto’s, and you can receive special offers, along with 10% off your first order, by signing up for emails and text messages when you visit ThyroSave.com.
Do You Want Help Saving Your Thyroid?
Click Here to access hundreds of free articles and blog posts.
Click Here for Dr. Eric’s YouTube channel
Click Here to join Dr. Eric’s Graves’ disease and Hashimoto’s group
Click Here to take the Thyroid Saving Score Quiz
Click Here to work with Dr. Eric
Listen to this episode on your favorite app
Follow or Subscribe for free to the Save My Thyroid podcast to stay up to date on the latest thyroid health-related topics.
Click Here To listen to this episode on Apple Podcasts
Click Here To listen to this episode on Spotify
Click Here to listen to the episode on Google Podcasts