Q & A EPISODE
How Can Postpartum Thyroiditis Be Managed and Prevented?
Postpartum thyroiditis is a condition that affects many women where the thyroid becomes inflamed after giving birth.
In many cases, this is a type of subclinical Hashimotos, and the antibodies were already present before pregnancy. Then the hormone changes and radical shifts in the body during pregnancy create an opportunity ripe for developing thyroiditis in the postpartum period.
Today I’m joined by Betty Murray to discuss what postpartum thyroiditis is, preventative measures you can put in place, and how to manage the symptoms.
During this episode, you’ll learn:
- What postpartum thyroiditis is why it happens
- How common is postpartum thyroiditis?
- Strategies for managing the symptoms of postpartum thyroiditis
- The importance of testing for thyroid antibodies and looking at optimal ranges rather than lab ranges
- What research studies show about selenium supplementation and postpartum thyroiditis
- What you need to know about the risk of selenium toxicity
As always, I hope you found this episode valuable, and I look forward to catching you in the next episode!
Mentioned in this episode
- Negro, R., Greco, G. H., Mangieri, T., Pezzarossa, A., Dazzi, D., & Hassan, H. (2007). The Influence of Selenium Supplementation on Postpartum Thyroid Status in Pregnant Women with Thyroid Peroxidase Autoantibodies. The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, 92(4), 1263–1268.
- Minnetti, M., Sada, V., Feola, T., Giannetta, E., Pozza, C., Gianfrilli, D., Isidori, A. M., & Cozzolino, A. (2022). Selenium Supplementation in Pregnant Women with Autoimmune Thyroiditis: A Practical Approach. Nutrients, 14(11), 2234.
Free resources for your thyroid health
Get your FREE Thyroid and Immune Health Restoration Action Points Checklist at SaveMyThyroidChecklist.com
High-Quality Nutritional Supplements For Hyperthyroidism and Hashimoto’s
Have you checked out my new ThyroSave supplement line? These high-quality supplements can benefit those with hyperthyroidism and Hashimoto’s, and you can receive special offers, along with 10% off your first order, by signing up for emails and text messages when you visit ThyroSave.com.
Do You Want Help Saving Your Thyroid?
Click Here to access hundreds of free articles and blog posts.
Click Here for Dr. Eric’s YouTube channel
Click Here to join Dr. Eric’s Graves’ disease and Hashimoto’s group
Click Here to take the Thyroid Saving Score Quiz
Click Here to work with Dr. Eric
Listen to this episode on your favorite app
Follow or Subscribe for free to the Save My Thyroid podcast to stay up to date on the latest thyroid health-related topics.
Click Here To listen to this episode on Apple Podcasts
Click Here To listen to this episode on Spotify
Click Here to listen to the episode on Stitcher