Heavy Metals and Thyroid Autoimmunity with Dr. Wendie Trubow
Heavy metals are everywhere in our environment.
Even when we limit our exposure, most of us were born with heavy metals and toxins from our mothers. The good news is, while you can’t avoid it, you can heal from this, especially when it comes to conditions like Hashimoto’s and Graves’ Disease.
Today I’m joined by return guest, Dr. Wendie Trubow, to talk about heavy metals and how you can start going in the right direction regarding thyroid autoimmunity. As a functional medicine gynecologist, Wendie is passionate about helping women optimize their health and lives. Through her struggles with mold and metal toxicity, Celiac disease, and other health issues, she has developed a deep sense of compassion and expertise for what her patients are facing.
In this conversation, Wendie and I discuss how heavy metals impact thyroid health and autoimmunity, why many kids test positive despite low environmental exposure, the top four heavy metals, common sources of heavy metals, why it’s crucial to improve the functioning of your detox systems, what you need to know about testing, and more. Enjoy the episode!
About Dr. Wendie Trubow
Wendie Trubow, MD, MBA, IFM certified practitioner, is passionate about helping women optimize their health and lives as a functional medicine gynecologist. Through her struggles with mold and metal toxicity, Celiac disease, and other health issues, Trubow has developed a deep sense of compassion and expertise for what her patients are facing.
She is the co-author of Dirty Girl: Ditch the Toxins, Look Great, and Feel Freaking Amazing and has been regularly featured in MindBodyGreen and Huffington Post.
She is an accomplished speaker and previously had her television show. She is on the faculty at A4M and a speaker for their conferences, along with other national societies. She and her partner will be releasing their next book in early 2024.
During this episode, you’ll learn:
- Wendie’s experience with heavy metals and environmental toxins
- How heavy metals impact thyroid health and autoimmunity
- Why many kids test positive despite low environmental exposure
- The top four heavy metals to look out for
- Common sources of heavy metals and how they can contribute to inflammation and degenerative and autoimmune diseases
- The effects of lead and mercury on the body
- Why it’s crucial to improve the functioning of your detox systems
- Toxin exposures as inflammatory autoimmune triggering events
- Wendie’s approach to heavy metal testing, including provoked urine testing
- Tailoring treatment plans based on individual needs and why it can take a long time to reduce your body burden
- Why you shouldn’t rely on blood testing alone to assess your exposure
- Avoiding toxins and supporting detoxification through diet, products, and environmental factors
- The best ways to incorporate fish into your diet
- The benefits of sauna, dry brushing, and colon hydrotherapy
- Prioritizing the foundational behaviors of good health before adding higher-order behaviors of detox
- Why it’s recommended to work with a functional medicine provider when it comes to detoxification
- The controversy around hair testing and provoked urine testing
Connect with Dr. Wendie Trubow
- Dr. Wendie Trubow’s Book | Dirty Girl: Ditch the Toxins, Look Great and Feel FREAKING AMAZING!
- Dr. Wendie Trubow’s Website | FiveJourneys.com
- Dr. Wendie Trubow’s Supplements
- Dr. Wendie Trubow’s Podcast
- Dr. Wendie Trubow on Instagram @5JourneysHealth
- Dr. Wendie Trubow on Facebook @FiveJourneys
- Dirty Girl on Instagram @DirtyGirldDetoxOfficial
- Dirty Girl on Facebook @DirtyGirldDetox
Free resources for your thyroid health
Get your FREE Thyroid and Immune Health Restoration Action Points Checklist at SaveMyThyroidChecklist.com
Do You Want Help Saving Your Thyroid?
Click Here to access hundreds of free articles and blog posts.
Click Here for Dr. Eric’s YouTube channel
Click Here to join Dr. Eric’s Graves’ disease and Hashimoto’s group
Click Here to work with Dr. Eric
Listen to the episode on your favorite app
Click Here To listen to this episode on Apple Podcasts
Click Here To listen to this episode on Spotify
Click Here to listen to the episode on Stitcher
Click Here to access the transcript for this episode