Q & A EPISODE
Environmental Toxins and Detoxification Q & A with Dr. Wendie Trubow
Heavy metals and other environmental toxins can harm thyroid health. But how dangerous are they? How long does it take to detox? When should you think about detoxing with an experienced practitioner?
Today I’m joined by the Detox Doc, Dr. Wendie Trubow, to answer listener questions about heavy metal toxicity, detox protocols, how to find the right provider, and more. Dr. Wendie is a functional health specialist and hosts the upcoming Environmental Toxicants, Autoimmunity, and Chronic Diseases Summit. Click Here to register.
Enjoy the episode!
About Dr. Wendie Trubow
Wendie Trubow, MD, MBA, IFM certified practitioner, is passionate about helping women optimize their health and lives as a functional medicine gynecologist. Through her struggles with mold and metal toxicity, Celiac disease, and other health issues, Trubow has developed a deep sense of compassion and expertise for what her patients are facing. She is the co-author of Dirty Girl: Ditch the Toxins, Look Great, and Feel Freaking Amazing and has been regularly featured in MindBodyGreen and Huffington Post.
She is an accomplished speaker and previously had her own television show. She is on the faculty at A4M and a speaker for their conferences, along with other national societies. She and her partner will be releasing their next book in mid-2023.
During this episode, you’ll learn:
- Q1: How long do you need to detox from heavy metals?
- The higher your body burden, the longer it will take to detox
- How to know when you no longer need to detox
- Q2: What’s a reliable test for heavy metals that I can show my doctor? What can I do about mercury, lead, and antimony?
- Traditional doctors don’t have the tools to evaluate and manage heavy metals
- What to look for in an effective provider
- Foundational behaviors to support your body’s detox processes
- Things you can add in for heavy metal detox
- Dr. Wendie’s take on IV glutathione
- The benefits of doing sauna as often as you can
- Q3: I have Hashimotos and the MTHFR homozygous C677T, and I was taking B6 for elevated homocysteine and have developed terrible internal vibrations from B6 toxicity. The problem is preventing sleep and not improving. Can Dr. Turbow suggest anything?
- The C677T polymorphism
- Why you need to figure out if you’re an over- or under-methylator
- Dr. Wendie’s recommendations for better sleep
- Considerations for elevated dosing of melatonin
- Q3: How can I know if I’m intoxicated with heavy metals?
- If you’re alive, you’re at risk of being exposed to heavy metals
- Conditions that suggest you should get evaluated for heavy metals
- Common symptoms of heavy metal toxicity
- Why it’s often better to treat yourself before treating your children
- Concerns about children and sauna therapy
- Q4: How dangerous are heavy metals? Are titanium dental implants safe for thyroid patients?
- Heavy metals underlie a lot of health issues
- Natural Endocrine Solutions Article | Can Titanium Implants Trigger Thyroid Autoimmunity?
- There’s a small chance of getting an adverse reaction to titanium implants
- Why I chose zirconia dental implants
- How a biological dentist can help
- Q5: 23andMe says I have mutations on genes involved in toxicity pathways. How does this affect the potential for heavy metal toxicity?
- Genes can make it harder, but there are things you can do to support the body and what you have
- You need a custom plan designed to optimize your system
- Q6: I have the tip of an aluminum upholstery nail in my foot and long-haul COVID. Do you have any advice?
- Long-haul COVID indicates that something is going on in the body
- No need to think you’ll always be sick; it’s fixable
- Q7: I’ve read about DMSA as a chelating agent for heavy metals, but I need help finding a good source. Does Dr. Trubow recommend DMSA for these purposes, and if so, what is a good source in the US?
- One of the most reliable sources is through a prescription to a compounding pharmacy
- You shouldn’t do a detox without being monitored
- We always need to replace the good nutrients being pulled out
- Q8: Any suggestions on safely detoxing the bone marrow?
- If you have metals in your bone marrow, it’s likely to be lead
- The aspects that a typical protocol would cover
- It takes longer than you think
- Q9: For over a year, I’ve been drinking half a gallon of bugleweed, motherwort, and lemon balm tea to help manage hyperthyroidism. I have three amalgam fillings, and I’m concerned that the bugleweed may be pulling toxins from those fillings, releasing them into my body and possibly doing more harm than good. Is this concern warranted? Should people with mercury amalgams refrain from detox supplements in general?
- Dr. Wendie’s recommendation for getting amalgam fillings removed
- It’s better to prevent the buildup than to wait to detox them
- Supplements you may want to consider adding to your daily routine
- Q10: Can you do infrared sauna with hyperthyroidism?
- You don’t want to do anything to raise the heart rate too much and go into a thyroid storm
- Try alternatives like Epsom salt soaks or dry brushing
- Q11: Most providers suggest taking medications for Graves’. What are your thoughts?
- There’s a time and place for medication
- We always want to work on the foundational elements of optimal health
- Q12: Have you ever heard of OSR for chelating mercury safely, even if you still have amalgams?
- It can make you very sick at minimal doses, so working with an experienced practitioner is critical
- Q13: Do omega-3 plant-based supplements help with detox?
- Try to eat your omega-3 if you can
- Omegas are fantastic for detox
- Q14: I’ve heard that getting mercury fillings removed can cause autoimmune issues. Is this true?
- Removing mercury fillings does lead to exposure, so it’s best to work with a biological dentist
- Find a biologic dentist through the IOAMT
- What you’ll learn at Dr. Wendie Trubow’s free Environmental Toxicants, Autoimmunity, and Chronic Diseases Summit
As always, I hope you found this episode valuable, and I look forward to catching you in the next episode!
Mentioned in this episode
- Sign up for FREE for Dr. Wendie Trubow’s Environmental Toxicants, Autoimmunity, and Chronic Diseases Summit
- Dr. Wendie Trubow’s Book | Dirty Girl: Ditch the Toxins, Look Great and Feel FREAKING AMAZING!
- Dr. Wendie Trubow’s Clinic Website | FiveJourneys.com
- Dr. Wendie Trubow on Instagram @WendieTrubowMD
- Dr. Wendie Trubow on Facebook
- Save My Thyroid | Episode 40: Ditch The Toxins and Heal Your Thyroid with Dr. Wendie Trubow
Free resources for your thyroid health
Get your FREE Thyroid and Immune Health Restoration Action Points Checklist at SaveMyThyroidChecklist.com
High-Quality Nutritional Supplements For Hyperthyroidism and Hashimoto’s
Have you checked out my new ThyroSave supplement line? These high-quality supplements can benefit those with hyperthyroidism and Hashimoto’s, and you can receive special offers, along with 10% off your first order, by signing up for emails and text messages when you visit ThyroSave.com.
Do You Want Help Saving Your Thyroid?
Click Here to access hundreds of free articles and blog posts.
Click Here for Dr. Eric’s YouTube channel
Click Here to join Dr. Eric’s Graves’ disease and Hashimoto’s group
Click Here to take the Thyroid Saving Score Quiz
Click Here to work with Dr. Eric
Listen to this episode on your favorite app
Follow or Subscribe for free to the Save My Thyroid podcast to stay up to date on the latest thyroid health-related topics.
Click Here To listen to this episode on Apple Podcasts
Click Here To listen to this episode on Spotify
Click Here to listen to the episode on Stitcher