Discussing The Brain-Gut-Thyroid Axis with Dr. Shane Steadman
“Our bodies are too complex to think that one thing can fix every body.” – Dr. Shane Steadman
It’s not enough to do a thyroid panel and start taking medication. We need to dig into why the thyroid isn’t functioning optimally in the first place.
If we want to get to the root cause of why the thyroid isn’t working, we have to address issues related to the brain and gut. Today I’m joined by chiropractic neurologist Dr. Shane Steadman to discuss the role of the brain in thyroid function and autoimmunity and how the brain-gut-thyroid axis works.
Dr. Shane Steadman is a Chiropractic Neurologist and one of only a handful of Chiropractic Neurologists in the entire state of Colorado. Dr. Steadman is an expert in treating and supporting “tough cases” such as concussions, migraines, vertigo, peripheral neuropathy, autoimmune conditions, thyroid and hormonal disorders as well as other health conditions. He has completed numerous hours of postgraduate and advanced studies in functional neurology and functional medicine, including functional blood chemistry and thyroid issues, as well as neurotransmitters and brain function through the University of Bridgeport. Dr. Steadman is the owner of Integrated Health Systems in Denver, Colorado.
This was a fantastic interview, and I learned so much from Dr. Steadman. We talked about why we shouldn’t look at the thyroid in isolation, how neurological conditions can lead to thyroid dysfunction and vice versa, Dr. Steadman’s approach to testing and treatment, the connection between leaky gut and brain fog, and more. This conversation had so many nuggets that would benefit anyone with a thyroid or autoimmune thyroid condition.
During this episode, you’ll learn about:
- What is a chiropractic neurologist?
- Everything is so intertwined; we shouldn’t look at the thyroid in isolation
- Serotonin or dopamine imbalances affect the hypothalamus and can lead to thyroid dysfunction in some instances
- Most thyroid conditions are autoimmune in nature
- The role of the brain in autoimmunity
- What patients can expect from their initial consultation and examination with Dr. Steadman
- The brain and immune system are intrinsically linked
- Understanding the brain-vagus nerve-gut connection
- Constipation is an early sign of many brain conditions
- Why it’s essential to examine vagus nerve function
- Vagus nerve stimulators and exercises
- The connection between leaky gut and leaky brain
- Common symptoms and testing for leaky brain
- Whenever you create inflammation, you can create that brain fog feeling
- Why you have to address gut health when healing the thyroid
- Dr. Steadman’s approach to gut health testing
- Neurological causes of constipation
- Blood sugar balance and brain health
- Your brain needs three things to function: glucose, oxygen, and stimulation
- Diagnosis of brain-based disorders
- Past trauma can play a role in current dysfunction
- An overview of Dr. Steadman’s metabolic, neurological, and immunological treatment protocols
Connect with Dr. Shane Steadman
Free resources for your thyroid health
Get your FREE Thyroid and Immune Health Restoration Action Points Checklist at SaveMyThyroidChecklist.com
Do You Want Help Saving Your Thyroid?
Click Here to access hundreds of free articles and blog posts.
Click Here for Dr. Eric’s YouTube channel
Click Here to join Dr. Eric’s Graves’ disease and Hashimoto’s group
Click Here to work with Dr. Eric
Listen to the episode on your favorite app
Click Here To listen to this episode on Apple Podcasts
Click Here To listen to this episode on Spotify
Click Here to listen to the episode on Stitcher