Q & A EPISODE
Cholesterol and Thyroid Health
Cholesterol often gets a bad rap, but it’s integral to several bodily functions, from hormone synthesis to digestion.
For people with thyroid conditions, hypothyroidism is often associated with elevated total cholesterol and LDL, and hyperthyroidism is typically associated with lower cholesterol and LDL. In these cases, balancing your thyroid hormone levels usually improves your lipid panel.
Today I’m sharing the connection between thyroid hormone and cholesterol, why cholesterol is essential for your health, how your thyroid levels can impact your lipid panel, what you can do to improve your cholesterol, and more.
During this episode, you’ll learn:
- Lipid metabolism and the role of thyroid hormone
- The crucial functions of cholesterol in the body
- What we commonly see with total cholesterol levels and hypothyroidism or hyperthyroidism
- What are LDL and HDL?
- How thyroid conditions impact LDL and HDL levels
- Why it’s important to test fasting triglyceride levels
- Thyroid hormones and lipid levels
- Concerns about low cholesterol and the production of sex hormones
- What research shows about the connection between thyroid hormones and lipids
- How antithyroid drugs can affect your lipid panel
As always, I hope you found this episode valuable, and I look forward to catching you in the next episode!
Mentioned in this episode
- Natural Endocrine Solutions Articles
- Su, Xin et al. “Hyperlipidemia and hypothyroidism.” Clinica chimica acta; international journal of clinical chemistry vol. 527 (2022): 61-70.
- Duntas, Leonidas H, and Gabriela Brenta. “The effect of thyroid disorders on lipid levels and metabolism.” The Medical clinics of North America vol. 96,2 (2012): 269-81.
- Duntas, Leonidas H. “Thyroid disease and lipids.” Thyroid : official journal of the American Thyroid Association vol. 12,4 (2002): 287-93.
Free resources for your thyroid health
Get your FREE Thyroid and Immune Health Restoration Action Points Checklist at SaveMyThyroidChecklist.com
High-Quality Nutritional Supplements For Hyperthyroidism and Hashimoto’s
Have you checked out my new ThyroSave supplement line? These high-quality supplements can benefit those with hyperthyroidism and Hashimoto’s, and you can receive special offers, along with 10% off your first order, by signing up for emails and text messages when you visit ThyroSave.com.
Do You Want Help Saving Your Thyroid?
Click Here to access hundreds of free articles and blog posts.
Click Here for Dr. Eric’s YouTube channel
Click Here to join Dr. Eric’s Graves’ disease and Hashimoto’s group
Click Here to take the Thyroid Saving Score Quiz
Click Here to work with Dr. Eric
Listen to this episode on your favorite app
Follow or Subscribe for free to the Save My Thyroid podcast to stay up to date on the latest thyroid health-related topics.
Click Here To listen to this episode on Apple Podcasts
Click Here To listen to this episode on Spotify
Click Here to listen to the episode on Stitcher