Q & A EPISODE
Can Hyperthyroidism Cause Elevated Calcium Levels?
High blood calcium levels, known as hypercalcemia, can negatively affect bone health and the cardiovascular system and can also lead to the formation of kidney stones.
In persons with hyperthyroidism, it’s common to see blood calcium levels on the higher end of normal. The good news is that when these higher levels are related to hyperthyroidism, they usually normalize once thyroid hormone levels decrease.
Today I’m discussing the connection between hyperthyroidism and blood calcium levels, my testing recommendations, potential symptoms of hypercalcemia, and more.
During this episode, you’ll learn:
- Causes of hypercalcemia
- The connection between hyperthyroidism and your calcium levels
- High versus elevated calcium levels
- Why I commonly recommend a comprehensive metabolic panel
- The primary causes of hypercalcemia in thyroid patients
- Potential symptoms of hypercalcemia
- Why you might want to evaluate your parathyroid hormone levels
- Treatment approaches for hypercalcemia associated with hyperthyroidism
As always, I hope you found this episode valuable, and I look forward to catching you in the next episode!
Mentioned in this episode
- Fathimabeebi, P. K., Al Busaidi, N. B., & Al Lamki, M. (2015). Hypercalcemia, an uncommon presentation of hyperthyroidism. Int Arch EndocrinolClin Res, 1(003).
- Chen, K., Xie, Y., Zhao, L., & Mo, Z. (2017). Hyperthyroidism-associated hypercalcemic crisis: a case report and review of the literature. Medicine, 96(4).
Free resources for your thyroid health
Get your FREE Thyroid and Immune Health Restoration Action Points Checklist at SaveMyThyroidChecklist.com
High-Quality Nutritional Supplements For Hyperthyroidism and Hashimoto’s
Have you checked out my new ThyroSave supplement line? These high-quality supplements can benefit those with hyperthyroidism and Hashimoto’s, and you can receive special offers, along with 10% off your first order, by signing up for emails and text messages when you visit ThyroSave.com.
Do You Want Help Saving Your Thyroid?
Click Here to access hundreds of free articles and blog posts.
Click Here for Dr. Eric’s YouTube channel
Click Here to join Dr. Eric’s Graves’ disease and Hashimoto’s group
Click Here to take the Thyroid Saving Score Quiz
Click Here to work with Dr. Eric
Listen to this episode on your favorite app
Follow or Subscribe for free to the Save My Thyroid podcast to stay up to date on the latest thyroid health-related topics.
Click Here To listen to this episode on Apple Podcasts
Click Here To listen to this episode on Spotify
Click Here to listen to the episode on Stitcher