Q & A EPISODE
Can H. pylori Trigger Graves’ Disease & Hashimoto’s?
Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori) is a Gram-negative bacteria that infects the stomachs of humans and is associated with peptic ulcer disease, gastric carcinoma, and gastric lymphoma.
While there are certain symptoms that conventional medical doctors will look for in relation to H. pylori, it’s important to understand that the absence of symptoms doesn’t rule it out.
Today I’m sharing the most important things you need to know about H. pylori and what research has shown about a correlation to Graves’ Disease and Hashimoto’s.
During this episode, you’ll learn about:
- What is H. pylori?
- Symptoms associated with H. pylori
- How H. pylori is transmitted
- Research into the correlation between H. pylori and thyroid autoimmunity
- Conventional medical treatment of H. pylori
As always, I hope you found this episode valuable, and I look forward to catching you in the next episode!
Mentioned in this episode
- Journal Articles
- Bassi, Vincenzo et al. “Autoimmune thyroid diseases and Helicobacter pylori: the correlation is present only in Graves’s disease.” World journal of gastroenterology vol. 18,10 (2012): 1093-7. doi:10.3748/wjg.v18.i10.1093
- Figura, Natale et al. “Helicobacter pylori Infection and Autoimmune Thyroid Diseases: The Role of Virulent Strains.” Antibiotics (Basel, Switzerland) vol. 9,1 12. 30 Dec. 2019, doi:10.3390/antibiotics9010012
- Bassi, Vincenzo et al. “Identification of a correlation between Helicobacter pylori infection and Graves’ disease.” Helicobacter vol. 15,6 (2010): 558-62. doi:10.1111/j.1523-5378.2010.00802.x
- Aghili, Rokhsareh et al. “The association of Helicobacter pylori infection with Hashimoto’s thyroiditis.” Acta medica Iranica vol. 51,5 293-6. 30 May. 2013
- Shmuely, Haim et al. “Helicobacter pylori infection in women with Hashimoto thyroiditis: A case-control study.” Medicine vol. 95,29 (2016): e4074. doi:10.1097/MD.0000000000004074
- Save My Thyroid | Episode 15: Infections and Thyroid Autoimmunity with Dr. Nikolas Hedberg
Free resources for your thyroid health
Get your FREE Thyroid and Immune Health Restoration Action Points Checklist at SaveMyThyroidChecklist.com
Do You Want Help Saving Your Thyroid?
Click Here to access hundreds of free articles and blog posts.
Click Here for Dr. Eric’s YouTube channel
Click Here to join Dr. Eric’s Graves’ disease and Hashimoto’s group
Click Here to work with Dr. Eric
Listen to this episode on your favorite app
Follow or Subscribe for free to the Save My Thyroid podcast to stay up to date on the latest thyroid health-related topics.
Click Here To listen to this episode on Apple Podcasts
Click Here To listen to this episode on Spotify
Click Here to listen to the episode on Stitcher