Q & A EPISODE
Can dark chocolate be safely eaten by those with thyroid conditions?
With several health-promoting factors, dark chocolate has numerous health benefits and is considered a functional food due to its anti-diabetic, anti-inflammatory, and antimicrobial properties.
Despite that, dark chocolate is excluded from an autoimmune paleo (AIP) diet, and there are a few reasons people with thyroid and autoimmune thyroid conditions should be cautious about eating it.
Today, I’m sharing what you need to know about the potential downside of dark chocolate, why you should be cautious, and why I continue to eat dark chocolate on a regular basis.
During this episode, you’ll learn about:
- How dark chocolate’s phytic acid content can affect nutrient absorption
- The effects of cacao’s polyphenols on T2 and TH1 helper cell activity
- The risk of heavy metal contamination in chocolate products
- Whether you should be concerned about chocolate’s oxalate content
- Safer choices for dark chocolate
As always, I hope you found this episode valuable, and I look forward to catching you in the next episode!
Mentioned in this episode
- Natural Endocrine Solutions Article | Should Dark Chocolate Be Eaten By Those With Graves’ Disease and Hashimoto’s?
- ConsumerLab.com Article | Dark Chocolates, Cocoa & Cacao Powders, Nibs, and Supplements Review — Sources of Flavanols
- Save My Thyroid | Episode 98: The Impact of Toxic Superfoods on Thyroid Health with Sally K. Norton
Free resources for your thyroid health
Get your FREE Thyroid and Immune Health Restoration Action Points Checklist at SaveMyThyroidChecklist.com
High-Quality Nutritional Supplements For Hyperthyroidism and Hashimoto’s
Have you checked out my new ThyroSave supplement line? These high-quality supplements can benefit those with hyperthyroidism and Hashimoto’s, and you can receive special offers, along with 10% off your first order, by signing up for emails and text messages when you visit ThyroSave.com.
Do You Want Help Saving Your Thyroid?
Click Here to access hundreds of free articles and blog posts.
Click Here for Dr. Eric’s YouTube channel
Click Here to join Dr. Eric’s Graves’ disease and Hashimoto’s group
Click Here to take the Thyroid Saving Score Quiz
Click Here to work with Dr. Eric
Listen to this episode on your favorite app
Follow or Subscribe for free to the Save My Thyroid podcast to stay up to date on the latest thyroid health-related topics.
Click Here To listen to this episode on Apple Podcasts
Click Here To listen to this episode on Spotify
Click Here to listen to the episode on Google Podcasts