A Deep Dive Into The Gut Microbiome with Dr. Ami Kapadia
“So much of our immune system is dependent on our gut health.” – Dr. Ami Kapadia
Most holistic and functional medicine practitioners agree that a healthy gut is essential for optimal health. A strong foundation is critical to any healing protocol, from food choices to meal timing, stress management, exercise, and other lifestyle factors. While it’s easy to get caught up in supplements and complex treatment protocols, in many cases, taking a step back to work on the fundamentals brings about positive changes.
Today I’m very excited to welcome Dr. Ami Kapadia to the podcast for a comprehensive chat about the gut microbiome. Dr. Ami has practiced as a family medicine and holistic medicine physician since 2005. Her practice focuses on digestive health and metabolic health. She pays particular attention to the role of nutrition, lifestyle, food, and environmental sensitivities in helping patients reach their health goals.
In this episode, Dr. Ami and I discuss the foundations of good gut health, testing, and treatment for fungi, protozoa, and biofilms, common nutrient deficiencies and their impact on overall healing, why it’s crucial to evaluate symptoms before proceeding with treatment, her approach to H. pylori, and more. Enjoy the episode!
During this episode, you’ll learn:
- How Dr. Ami came to focus on gut health
- Foundational nutrition practices, stress management, and other lifestyle factors in maintaining good health
- The benefits of proper meal spacing, even when doing intermittent fasting
- How Dr. Ami uses elimination diets and testing for identifying food sensitivities
- What Dr. Ami sees with common nutrient deficiencies and their impact on overall healing
- Preferred testing options for nutrient deficiencies
- The challenges of stool testing for bacterial imbalances and the use of broad-spectrum botanicals
- Consequences of fungal overgrowth and the type of treatment that’s typically needed
- Why it’s crucial to evaluate symptoms before proceeding with treatment
- Dr. Ami’s approach to protozoa treatment
- The role of antifungal medications like nystatin and fluconazole
- Using botanicals to treat parasites
- What you need to know about mast cell activation syndrome
- The potential impact of berberine on the gut microbiome
- Why Dr. Ami prefers a cautious approach to biofilm treatment
- Sugar restriction in a Candida overgrowth protocol
- The prevalence of protozoa and fungi in Dr. Ami’s patient population
- Why Dr. Ami prefers to use ParaWellness tests
- Dr. Ami’s approach to testing and treating H. pylori
- My take on using oregano oil as an antimicrobial agent
- Different testing methods and their limitations
Connect with Dr. Ami Kapadia
Mentioned in this episode
Free resources for your thyroid health
Get your FREE Thyroid and Immune Health Restoration Action Points Checklist at SaveMyThyroidChecklist.com
Do You Want Help Saving Your Thyroid?
Click Here to access hundreds of free articles and blog posts.
Click Here for Dr. Eric’s YouTube channel
Click Here to join Dr. Eric’s Graves’ disease and Hashimoto’s group
Click Here to work with Dr. Eric
Listen to the episode on your favorite app
Click Here To listen to this episode on Apple Podcasts
Click Here To listen to this episode on Spotify
Click Here to listen to the episode on Stitcher
Click Here to access the transcript for this episode