5 Myths of Hyperthyroidism and Graves’ Disease
“Your options for treating hyperthyroidism are medication, radioactive iodine, or surgery.”
That’s just one of the many myths patients with hyperthyroidism and Graves’ disease hear from endocrinologists daily. Medication and surgery have their place, but there’s much more to consider before leaping down that path.
Today I’m sharing the top five myths patients with hyperthyroidism and Graves’ disease encounter, and I’m arming you with the truth as you continue on your thyroid healing journey. I encourage you to keep an open mind and not to believe everything you’ve been told about this condition. If you have Graves’ disease, toxic multinodular goiter, or another hyperthyroid condition, then you won’t want to miss this episode.
During this episode, you’ll learn about:
- Myth #1: The only treatment options for hyperthyroidism are medication, radioactive iodine, and surgery
- Radioactive iodine and thyroid surgery should be the last resort
- Alternative treatment options can play a significant role in many cases
- Myth #2: Radioactive iodine is a cure for Graves’ disease
- While radioactive iodine can get rid of hyperthyroidism, it does nothing for the autoimmune component of Graves’ disease
- It’s essential to address the cause of the problem, not just the symptoms
- Myth #3: Improving your diet doesn’t help with hyperthyroidism
- Most endocrinologists don’t advocate for dietary changes
- Diet is a crucial piece of the puzzle when it comes to healing your thyroid
- Myth #4: You can’t take methimazole for longer than two years
- The problem with how many endocrinologists define remission
- Research shows that it can be safe to take low doses of methimazole over a longer term
- Myth #5: Your thyroid will eventually burn out
- The two situations where hyperthyroid patients may become hypothyroid over time
Mentioned in the episode
Free resources for your thyroid health
Get your FREE Thyroid and Immune Health Restoration Action Points Checklist at SaveMyThyroidChecklist.com
Do You Want Help Saving Your Thyroid?
Click Here to access hundreds of free articles and blog posts.
Click Here for Dr. Eric’s YouTube channel
Click Here to join Dr. Eric’s Graves’ disease and Hashimoto’s group
Click Here to work with Dr. Eric
Listen to the episode on your favorite app
Click Here To listen to this episode on Apple Podcasts
Click Here To listen to this episode on Spotify
Click Here to listen to the episode on Stitcher